Sunday, June 9, 2013

It's Not Just That...

It's not just a dinosaur...
"What's on your cake?"

I patiently waited for my nephew to answer, assuming he would say "Dinosaur". When you are turning four, your cake is not just chocolate or vanilla. It's not a flavor at all. It's a character. The better the character, the better the cake! A little boy I babysat years ago once asked me if a princess cake would taste gross, never mind that his tonka truck cake likely came from the same bakery. So I waited for the answer, knowing that there was a lot of thought behind the selection - maybe even a whole year of preparation and decision making. 

"It's a Mapusaurus, Aunt Em."

"A what?" I looked to my sister for clarification.

Yes, it was a Mapusaurus. Not just a dinosaur. Not even something like a T-Rex. No, he had gone deep inside the pages of his Dinopedia and carefully selected this obscure, unknown (to me) creature for my sister to draw on his cake. And bless her heart, it did look just like a Mapusaurus. What a great mommy.

Blowing out his candles (with Dalmatian ears on)

 His new toy! A Big Wheel! He loved riding it down the hill into the grass. (I did too... I couldn't resist!)

Cruising

 Big Brother staying out of the way!

 Blowing out his breakfast birthday candles (with a mask  and cape on... he is very in to dress-up now that he's four)

It's not just summer vacation...
When people ask me how my summer vacation is going, I always have to think before I respond. Because, honestly, I usually forget that it's summer. And it's definitely not a vacation. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love it (it comes second to fall). But it's not a break. When you work, the joys of summer include less traffic on the way in to the office and a little more sunlight when you get home. 

I love it for hometown traffic jams...


And a best friend's wedding...


 The Groom!

The three graduates from the Class of 05 and the bride!


This little baby doll has been my wedding buddy this spring.

And my first rock climb...



And Strawberry Picking Time...

 Two Gallons to Freeze for the Season!


On a Nutella Cream Cheese birthday cake for a friend (plain yellow cake topped with a blend of a jar of nutella, a block of cream cheese softened, and a half cup of powdered sugar)

And backyard cookouts complete with cornhole, croquet, and kabobs...


Oh, but not for the bugs. One morning I picked up a plastic cup of water that I had left sitting in my living room over night. As I was putting it to my mouth to take a drink I notice this guy down in the cup! He was about four inches long! Oh, can you only imagine the therapy I would have to go through if I had actually taken a drink!

You are probably judging me for two things right now. First, this grossness was in my home. Second, I took a picture of it in my toilet. At least it was clean...

It's not just a lullaby...
I have been volunteering at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital every Thursday night for almost two years now. Oh, how I love that place. A few weeks ago I got to spend my two hours with a precious little baby boy. As I walked in the room, the nurse was thrilled to see me. "You are coming to rock him? I'm so glad. I wish I could stay in here all night and hold him. He's such a sweet cuddler." At that, I knew that I was going to have a great night with the little guy. And, oh, how precious he was. The nurse laid him in my arms - there were too many wires and gadgets for me to try to pick him up on my own. And I started humming. I never sing when the nurses are around because I have a terrible singing voice. But I hummed Twinkle Twinkle Little Star until she finished her charts and left the room. Then my humming turned into soft singing. And as I rocked him I looked down at his tiny little alabaster hand in mine. His precious, pure skin has likely never seen the sun while mine was sun kissed from a recent visit to the beach. My heart went out to him, and he, well, he was likely waiting on a new heart. I held him close, this precious little baby balancing between great strength and great fragility, and I sang the song that always comes to mind when I'm in the hospital - Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross. But it wasn't just a lullaby, it was a prayer over him. Oh how I prayed for that healing stream from Calvary's mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment