Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Baking vs. Assembling


True confession time. Sometimes I actually bake. Like, actually get a bunch of separate ingredients and whip up something fantastic. But more often, my majority of the time in the kitchen involves less baking and more assembling.

My most raved about baked good? Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies. A package of Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie mix with a Dove dark chocolate square on top. Secret's out. Of course, sometimes I make a criss-cross on top with a fork to make them look homemade. And people love them. When I show up at work with a plate of them I hear, “Well, look who it is! Betty Crocker!” and I smile and think to myself “No, literally. It’s Betty Crocker.”


Once I made Oatmeal Raisin Butter Cream Sandwiches. Two oatmeal raisin cookies from the Publix bakery with Betty Crocker Butter Cream icing in between. Again, they were loved.



I’ve discovered that assembly can sometimes be just as valuable as baking.

Especially in a time crunch.

And who has time at breakfast? Not me. That’s why I don’t bake breakfast, I assemble it. My latest choice? A whole wheat pita pocket with sunflower butter and pink lady apple slices.



Delicious. Of course, I often swap out English muffins for pita pockets or peanut butter/almond butter for sunflower butter. That’s the best part of assembly. Use what you have! And you have to try this. I’m hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment