Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Looking Back

This blog post has also been published on my church's young professionals' blog


A clear vision of our histories is a gift of the Spirit.  One to be cherished and one more valuable than the one that we usually pray for – a vision of our futures. Being able to look into our stories, not from a window on the front porch, but from the darkest corners of the cellars of our hearts, allows us to see truths about who God actually is, not just who we want Him to be.
And when I look at my story there are two things that I always come back to:
He is always faithful.
He makes beauty from ashes every single time.
I get glimpses of how chapters connect. How struggles lead to stories. How temptations lead to trust. And how trials lead to testimony.
And knowing those two things leaves me with peace. With “I know that everything is going to be okay.” With “It will work out somehow.” With “He will use my story.” With “Why worry about tomorrow when today is all we have?” With “He will use this for good. He has done it before and He will do it over and over again.”
Because when we identify God at work in our histories, we have a confident faith that He will, of course, be at work in our futures as well.
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” – Romans 15:13

1 comment: