Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Weekend in Dallas


The very best friends are the ones that inspire us and sustain us . The ones that remain the same – if not better – even when silly things like 800 miles come between us. Which is why I adore this Texas gal.


She lived in the room across the hall from me during my freshman year at OC. We bonded over silly things like fruit snacks and afternoon naps and our mutual dislike for geology. And we’ve been best friends ever since. Now she lives in Dallas with her husband and sweet baby girl, but regular phone calls and texts and facetime calls make it feel like we aren’t so far apart after all.

I was supposed to go visit her in late February after her daughter was born, but a broken arm threw a wrench into those plans. But I was so happy to be able to visit now, because this age is one of my favorites.  Her daughter is the sweetest, happiest little girl ever. I was instantly in love! There is just something so special about your best friends' babies!


I enjoyed a weekend full of LOTS of shopping, sunset walks and talks, plenty of great food – including my first experience with In-N-Out Burger.



We also tried to watch Sleepless in Seattle several times. We didn’t succeed.  No, not because the movie isn’t awesome. It’s one of my favorites! But because I (actually we both) kept falling asleep.  Long weekend vacations call for extra naps. When we determined that there is no greater “Girl's Night Movie" combo than Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks (who doesn’t love You’ve Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle?) we were curious to find out what exactly Meg has been doing since her Tom Hanks duo glory days. So we looked up her wiki page. We found no interesting new movies (except of course Kate and Leopold) but were shocked when we found out Meg Ryan's real name. Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra. I mean, girl is awesome and can totally rock 5 names (plus a stage name) but wow. That's a lot.

We also spent lots of time crafting. Ever since I learned to sew, I have been itching to sew one of my latest pinterest pins.  After much debate, I settle on the zippered, lined makeup pouch.  Even though I fought with the sewing machine a bit (which I’m pretty sure was predominantly user error), I ended up really liking my finished product!




And she made a circle skirt and onesie for football season. Adorable and very easy to duplicate!



I’m already anxious to spend another weekend with her! Here’s hoping that we don’t wait a whole 1.5 years between visits this time!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job with the pouch! I feel a handmade Christmas coming on! :)

    ReplyDelete